Friday, October 7, 2011

Why won't you let me be great?!

C'mon, He didn't really think he was Jesus...
Have you ever had something that just nagged at you? Like you're just about to break through that glass ceiling and then discrimination yanks down on your coattails?  Let me take it down a notch. Ever found the most bangin-est dress for the most bangin-est party ever only to realize you're missing one half of your most bangin-est pair of pumps? All you have left is some dusty mary janes and a rusty pair of penny loafers. Now your whole fit is fucked up. #SMH

I swear man, for me, I feel like it's always something. Lurking around my every corner, Mr. Screwyouover is stalking my every move. I just cooked a bomb ass dinner for my boo? I'm out of wine, It's Sunday, and the liquor store is closed and Walmart is hella far. Got that fresh do and that new fit (That's freshly done hair and a new outfit for my fair skinned friends (-: )? It's East Texas and ain't shit to do and nobody to see. #FAIL

It's September and that sexiness you call a crush suggests a spur-of-the-moment weekend road trip to Destin? It's the end of the month, your checking account is no longer recognizing values over $100 and you just used your credit car to buy a new set of tires. #FUUUCCCCCKKKKKK

Wait. I have more...

It's May. You're a 6th year senior. You've finished all your classes. You turned in your last paper. Some student worker mistakenly let you order your cap and gown. Mistakenly? Yeah, buddy. You have a humongASS hold on your account AND you're actually 2 credits shy. They're gonna let you walk but you feel like a douche because you have to come right back in July- because they don't offer the class you need in June. That job you got called back for? It has to be filled by the second week of June and you no longer qualify. #wouldyoulikefrieswiththat

And another.

You kiss a bunch of frogs and catch a few crabs only to finally find your prince out in the middle of the desert while volunteering for Teachers Without Borders. Catch? You find out at the family reunion that he's your 3rd cousin. #Ihopeyouatleastwrappeditup

My point? Sometimes Life is a hater. And right now, Life is hating on me hard. Just when I finally get it together too! I mean, I wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and genuinely like what I see. My laughs are hearty. My love is sincere. I feel good. And of course, Life knew this was coming and decided to throw some shade that I feel like I'll never be able to shake. *deep sigh*

I know there is no perfect. I don't pray for a perfect life. I understand that we take the good with the bad. We accept our faults. We allow ourselves to be human. And most days, I'm good with this. But, today was one of those days where I woke up this morning, thought about my situation, and all I could say was, "Damn."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the light-skinned definitions. I do appreciate those. :)

    I know what you mean about life being unfair. I am realizing more and more what a trade-off happiness is. I definitely like my new life, but I wasn't totally prepared for the amount of broke it would entail. Still, happiness is worth being poor and drinking at home, right? I hope so.

    On the bright side, your posts have been trending to the positive lately, so maybe things are turning around overall? I think they are! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I'll make sure to always include those definitions whenever I dip too far down into my "hood" roots, lol! And yes, overall things are getting better- well actually, I'll say that my attitude is getting better while my conditions still have the upper-hand in the battle against change :-/

    But you're so right about the trade-off and it helps to know I'm not the only one having to deal with it. But yes, I'd definitely take happiness over money- or a shit load of money over happiness (because I'm quite certain I could find a way to make it work for me, ya know? lol!). But I still don't think that being financially free AND happy is too much to for us to ask. I'm going to keep praying for us. I'm certain that if I just keep nagging Jesus, He'll cave on that windfall I asked him for :)

    Me miss you more :)

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say?