Thursday, September 8, 2011

PRINCEiples of Life

This guy..

My mom sent me the lyrics to Purple Rain this morning. She usually sends me scriptures or other encouraging words. But this morning, for whatever reason, she thought it was necessary to send me some immortal words of the Purple One.



I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only ever wanted to see you laughing
only want to see you laughing in the purple rain 
Honey, I never wanted to be your wicked lover Only wanted to be some kind of friend I could never leave you for another It's such a shame our friendship had to end Purple rain, purple rain 
Honey, I know, I know, I know times are changing This time we all reach out for something new That means you too you say you're looking for a leader, But you can't seem to make up your mind but you better open it up wide, let it guide you To the purple rain


In case you didn't know, let me tell you... Prince is brilliant. I don't think I really have to support this claim with additional text. Because he is brilliant, you can see why these lyrics- much like the Bible- can be interpreted in several different ways and be used metaphorically for so many different aspects of life.


There are too many speakers that I could assign to this song. Too many states of being I could assign to the role of Purple Rain. *deep sigh*


You know what I take from this more than anything? I take from this the fundamental truth that is Life is Good. Who can really deny this? Who among us can truly say that death is better than life- from experience? No matter how bad it gets, human nature is still driven to survive. You can argue suicide but I'd say that those instances, though truly tragic, will always be the exception to the rule. It's insanely amazing the instances that people are capable of bouncing back from. The odds that many of great leaders have risen above are remarkable. No matter how underwhelmed you may be about President Obama, the fact that the title President of the United States is in front of his name is and shall always be astounding. I'd imagine that election night for him was his own Purple Rain.


As I listen to the awesomeness that is the Prince Pandora station, I'm in awe of the creativity that flows from Prince, Michael, Luther, Sting and of course Marvin- whose name I say with the deepest of sighs, *ahhhhhhhhh* Sitting here in the middle of a month old pile of work, staring at GAP, and ignoring deadlines in the near distance, I find myself falling in love all over again. With what? who? I don't know. It doesn't really matter does it? The point is that I feel myself falling... and it feels sooooo gooood! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?